Wednesday 21 October 2020

Life Down Wattle Lane v2 - Councils... ughhh!

Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way, but not with Waimakariri Council. The lack of common sense is costing us just over $1600. Both the draftsman and surveyor have expressed similar thoughts, so I'm not alone on this rant of mine.

Our land is flat, but the council requested a survey to be completed with the property elevations, just on the build site.  When I was advised I was like WTF... our land is flat!

I wasn't expecting any issues in this regards, as our land is flat, and we are building considerably above minimum requirements.

We have a requirement to build 400mm above the ground. Our plans have the foundations set at a minimum height of 600mm above the ground, and the finished floor height will be about 1000mm above the ground.

So common sense would suggest, flat ground and building in excess of minimum requirements, there would be no issue.

I even sent the council a photo to show the build site is flat:


That didn't go down well.

Now the council is wasting our money for us! 

So we have employed a surveyor to complete and elevations report and to indicate the boundaries of where we can build. 

On the property title there is a set area that we can build within. I had measured out where I thought the line was, but given the way the council is acting, I have asked the surveyor to mark out that line as well. I wasn't too far off!


$1600!! ughhh!
I much prefer wasting my own money, my own way!


No comments:

Post a Comment