Sunday 29 October 2017

Little Red

We recently purchased an antique of sorts. Nicknamed "Little Red" a 1940-60's (we guess) Massey Ferguson Tractor.


The reason for purchasing her was to put on a back blade to make some V drains in the paddock to help with drainage during winter.  Then after purchasing a mower, to top paddocks when required and to carry the firewood up the hill.

After a little research online, I had read they are very reliable, and pretty simple mechanically, so for $2000 including delivery we thought she was a bargain, although she has her charms.

We've replaced the battery, and I've fixed a little fuel leak and a tightened a couple of loose pipes.  She doesn't blow any smoke so pretty clean I thought.

She was starting first pop after installing the new battery, but on our first excursion out in the paddock she wouldn't re-start again. We had to bring the car down to jump start her... so I'm not sure what is up with her now, the battery locked fine, so I'm guessing a the leads to the battery need replacing as the battery is brand new? Anyway that will be my first thing to check.

The other thing I'm struggling with is the brakes... they don't seem to work... so any tips or advice on that is appreciated... currently I'm keeping away from any hills.

But we're very happy with Little Red, she will be very handy if we can get her running better.



No comments:

Post a Comment