Wednesday 28 February 2024

Life Down Wattle Lane v2 - A Proud Shepherd Moment

Today my small flock of Arapawa ewes put their trust in me, and I have not been prouder of my girls.

It's been a hot dry summer with the El Nino this year and the grass in the main paddocks has all dried up and withered to very little fodder for my sheep.

So I have been taking the flock across the dry creek bed, through the paddock and across a second swampy type creek, that still has water in it and at least one eel that I spotted while possibly accidentally standing on it. We are heading to the farthest corner that has really gone wild due to no vehicle access to maintain it, but there is plenty of grass. 

The girls love it and the lambs jump with joy playing in their food.

Well today as we headed across the first creek, the girls leading the way... when all of a sudden I hear my ewes snorting, which is an alert sound they make to warn the rest of the flock. There was a wandering wolf... ok a dog... ok... a small fox terrier running towards the flock. The mumma sheep snorted and turned around and the entire flock promptly came running back across the creek and went behind me, so I was standing  in between them and the ferocious wolf.

The flock turned to me and looked to me for help. Ohhh! I am so touched... my sheep respect me... my sheep love me! I have been waiting my entire life for this day!

Don't worry girls... I got you! 

I ran towards the wolf scaring it away!

After all the kerfuffle, it took a little coaxing to encourage the sheep to continue on with our walk to the farthest corner... but we made it, all safe and sound.

I'm feeling very proud of my girls. We worked together to stay safe.


On a serious note wandering dogs, especially pet dogs are a real concern around sheep, especially with lambs at foot. 

Sheep being killed by wandering dogs is a very real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment