Tuesday 21 November 2017

Lifestyle Block Realities...

If you ask anyone who has had a lifestyle block, they will tell you it is a lot of hard work. I think we have made it more difficult for ourselves as we purchased a blank canvas, essentially just a paddock.  If you ask me what my advice would be to anyone considering to buy a lifestyle block: 

Buy something established!

For the last 3 or so years, every weekend, every holiday, we've been building the house, building the garden shed, building the garage, making gardens, making paths, digging drains, planting trees, rebuilding boundary and internal fences, mowing lawns, weeding the gardens, mowing more lawns, chopping up felled trees, planting more trees, mowing more lawns, weeding more gardens.

It's a lot of work, and when everything is new, you're "investing" truck loads of time and money into your lifestyle block.

Over the next two weeks, my tasks are:

  • Pickup Mower From Workshop & Mow Lawns
  • Weed & Feed Around All Fruit Trees
  • Cut Grass In Chicken Pen
  • Clean Out Chicken Cage
  • Continue Chopping Up Felled Trees & Mulch Smaller Branches
  • Finish Planting The Remaining 25 Manuka Trees
  • Shear Sheep
  • Drench Sheep
  • Take Recycling To Recycling Place & Then Tidy Garage
  • Clean Deck
  • Restain Deck
  • Create New Garden Bed Under Deck
  • Top Up Driveway Gravel
  • Put Gravel Around Paddock Gate That Gets Muddy
  • New Water Trough In Lower Paddock
  • Trailer Need WOF Soon So Fix Loose Wiring
  • Plant Something/Anything in Vege Garden... I've been short on time.
  • Once All That Is Done... Mow Some More Lawns!
Now you might think this post sounds like a big ole whinge... full of regrets...
Well far from it...

I LOVE IT! 

BRING IT ON!


This is why I love living on a lifestyle block, I'm outside, getting exercise, breathing fresh air, soaking up the sun, and it is a DIY type persons dream, trying new things and giving anything a go. 

But the best thing, at the end of the day, after a hard day's work, it is so bloody rewarding to sit out on your deck, seeing what you have done and how far you have come.


PS... Thank you to my helping hands Geoff & Gary, I don't do this all on my own, I really appreciate the extra help when I can get it and it surely helps progress things along too.

No comments:

Post a Comment