Tuesday 29 June 2021

Life Down Wattle Lane v2 - Our Blimmin Chimney Saga

Today was a very testing day, stuck on the roof with no way down.

Sometimes I feel the forces are working against us.

Initially we had an issue with the retailer taking our money, and then not being able to supply the logburner but another retailer essentially across the road could.

With that behind us, it has been a matter of having the logburner installed.

First I layed the tile path area.

Then the installer came around to install the burner and flu kit.

First attempt and he couldn't get the metal cap off the top of the chimney, and requested scaffolding.

2nd attempt I put up scaffolding and together we unscrewed the cap and discovered the cap was also glued on. Once the cap was off he got to work cutting out the chimney holes in the ceiling. Well that lasted all of 5 minutes. There was metal on the other side of the ceiling gib. We were both baffled so I called SIT who built the house and asked what was going on.  I was advised there was ceiling gib, the tin plate then ply... and then the SIT guy said good luck and laughing suggested a jigsaw with metal blade.  A simple job was now a big job. The installer said he needs help, and will make a time to come back with a builder mate to help. So he left, and I took down the scaffolding until he was able to return.

Given the issues getting the cap off, only a couple screws where holding it on, as the installer would be back.

Well then we had a Canterbury wind from the South. They are never just a  breeze but always seem to come in the form of a gale.

For the last 3 or so days there had been a lot of talk about snow and I was a bit excited. However I didn't think much about any wind. Today the bitterly cold wind arrived but no snow for us.

One strong gust blew the cap off the chimney... it was hanging by the 2 screws.

I quickly grabbed my drill, screws, ladder and was up on the roof reattaching the cap to the chimney making it weather tight again.

Whilst hard at work fixing the chimney the wind blew my ladder over.

I was stuck.

No way down, in a blustery icy wind, on top of the roof... alone.

I saw the postie, and was hoping he would see me, but he was too far away.

I contemplated jumping as if I could land on the garden bark area that would be a softish landing. But I questioned whether my 92kg could clear 2m and whether my old bones could with stand the impact.

Luckily I had my phone and I called my Uncle Paul who was there within 30 minutes. Thankyou Uncle.

I was frozen, I couldn't tell if it was my Parkinson's or Hypothermia setting in and causing my shakes.  It was a long wait in that bone chilling wind.

So that was my drama for the day, and still no fire so the saga continues.




1 comment:

  1. You certainly do have a lot of problems but you cope well and you still seem to have a 😁 smile on your face 😈 lucky you had your phone As for the workers I would definitely have something to say to them orsomeone else. XX

    ReplyDelete