Monday 9 January 2023

Life Down Wattle Lane v2 - Well That Lasted All Of 2 Seconds

I was just saying yesterday how great lambing was going... well last night while checking the lambs and ewes, I spotted an abandoned lamb. After a short chase through  the paddock, over the fence, down the drive the lamb was caught and reunited with mum.  I think mum just forgot that she has 2 lambs to mother.

Then I noticed that her other lamb was rather wobbly with her rear legs, dragging and bending them unnaturally backwards.

So after penning mum and lambs in the yards, I checked first that mum had milk, and that lambs were feeding. Then  I inspected the lamb. She could walk and keep up with mum, but the legs would bend backwards... very creepy like. She wasn't in any pain from what I could tell. She seemed rather healthy all in all.

So we went to the vet today. The lamb was a model patient. Very patient and much loved by the staff. She was even attended by 2 vets.

It seems while in her mums womb, or during birth, her tendons/ligaments may have been stretched so they are all loosey goosey rather than tight and firm. The vet said something that they see in foals but unusual in lambs.

So both legs are now in splints and bandaged to help correct that. Hopefully things return to normal after a week or two.


Fortunately when reunited with mum all went well. Lamb was straight on mums teat.

I think I will wait a day or two before reuniting them with the flock... just until the little lamb finds her new feet.

6 comments:

  1. Such good parenting Ricky 💗Very observant & I love the pic of wee Lambie all sorted & tucking into a good feed with Mum 🥰🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say, its exhausting.. I needed a nap at 4pm, and I just had another nap at 7pm... just short 30min power naps, but I will head out soon to do the nighttime rounds.

      Delete
  2. Oh poor wee lamb. Just as well you're observant and got her loosey goosey legs checked out. Well done Ricky. One proud parent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy being a small holding farmer. I find that I spend so much time with my animals that it becomes easy to spot when something isn't quite right... then I start asking more questions.

      Delete
  3. Why am I "anonymous "? Vivienne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I think you need to change your name manually under the "comment as"... but I enjoy life's little mysteries 😊

      Delete