Thursday 27 October 2022

Life Down Wattle Lane v2 - Shearing 2022

Normally I love shearing, its exciting, it means summer is coming, and once they are shorn the sheep are unrecognizable. It's fun playing Who am I? Also the sheep seem to love getting rid of the heavy winter coat.


Finding a shearer can be sometimes a challenge when you have a small flock. But there is the odd person who specializes in lifestyle blocks. 

The guy that I called in this time, was recommended on Facebook and was local so I made contact and arranged for the job to be done Monday morning. 

I was excited and had the sheep in the yards early. 

When the shearer turned up he was an older guy and had issues getting out of the car and complained of stiffness and a sore back. I didn't think much of this at the time, as I complain about the same thing getting out of Gary's car. But it should have probably rung alarm bells in hindsight.

I showed him to the sheep and he said they were tidy and looked healthy and should be no problems. So we got started.

Drench, trim the feet, and shear.

I suggested to do Whiskers first who is the big ram and has horns that go on forever. Basically for everyone's safety to get him done and out of the way. Whiskers is a very calm go with the flow kinda ram. Very chilled for the first 5 minutes or thereabouts.

Now I need to point out that Arapawa's are a smaller breed of sheep, and can be a little wirly at times. Arapawa's have character.

From the very start the shearer never seemed to have control of Whiskers. Whiskers always had the upper hand. This isn't my first rodeo and I have seen other shearer's handle Whiskers with no issues. The shearer was swearing and cussing and shoving Whiskers down. It was a complete shambles. I should have stopped it then and there. 

The guys back was giving him pain, and if he couldn't cope he should have said so. 

Then he attacked the girls, some who were very well behaved and some not. But I have never had a shearer swear so much and just struggle handling them. I am sure the neighbors could hear the commotion.

During the job I started questioning him, how many sheep do you do in a week, do you do this full time, any more jobs today... just to get a better idea of his experience. 

Sadly there was a few nicks and as soon as he had left I applied iodine and gave the flock some love... sheep pellets.

It was about this time I then noticed the shearer had managed  to cut and tear the lower eyelid on one of the ewes. I don't  know how I missed that.

I think it was Karen, who does have an attitude but I respect her for that. Karen has Kaths hair of Kath & Kim, and always stamps her feet at me... just because she can.

After examining and contemplating what to do, I called out the vet. There was about 1cm of skin hanging off, and I started to worry about the eye, infection and the future of the eye.  Karen is with lamb, and I didn't want anything to affect her baby.

The vet examined her and gave her some pain relief, cut off the skin tear, examined the eye, cleaned the wound etc. It was by some miracle that he didn't get the actual eye. It should heal and will have a scar, but it is something that I will keep an eye on going forward. I am very thankful for the vet.

While the vet was attending to Karen I was holding her and she basically just sat her full weight down on my leg. It was as if she knew we were helping her, so she settled down and relaxed too much, giving me a dead leg. I could barely stand up myself when all was done.

I haven't received the bill yet... but it's going to be expensive, at a guess it will cost me 3 gates.

I'm a bit angry at myself, as I should have stopped him when he wasn't coping. I am disappointed in the shearer.

Most of all, I miss my old shearer from Kaipara, Shanelle from Shanelles lifestyle shearing... she was always superb! Shanelle treated the sheep with love and respect. She would talk to the Mama's and rub their belly.

I need to find the same kinda person down here.

But the flock is looking superb!!

No comments:

Post a Comment