Wednesday 25 August 2021

Life Down Wattle Lane v2 - Shepherding Arapawa's

It's been a challenging year raising livestock on a new property in a new climate.

We've gone from paddocks that were facing drought conditions and then to overnight soggy boggy wetlands. I've been told by locals it's an unusual year.

So managing grass, and feed has been a challenge along with trying to keep my Arapawa's feet dry avoiding potential foot rot problems.

Paddock rotation has been important along with creating dry raised mounds, digging drains where there has been standing water and getting creative with feeding.

Half our property, on the otherside of the creek has paddocks that we don't farm, but has lush green grass. We haven't used this area due to the creek and fence issues with big gaping holes.

Well...it was about time I tested my shepherding skills, as even I have been eyeing up the green grass on the other side. Delicious I am sure.

I grabbed my shepherds stick, a bucket of sheep nuts and I bravely took my ewe flock and their babies for a walk... across the creek.

I had a plan, cross the creek, and keep them away from the big holes in the boundary fence, that was all that I needed to do. Graze for an hour then return them to their paddock.

Simple!

Well sheep being sheep, dont just walk over the creek. They took flight and jumped the creek. Some of the lambs weren't as successful and took a dip. The crossing is only ankle deep, but omg, the Arapawa Drama!

One lamb took flight but jumped straight into the vertical creek bank, completing under estimating its jumping abilities and falling butt first into the creek... the water must have been cold as the little bugger made the jump out of the creek on the rebound! Very funny to watch.

Thinking health and safety, I was worried some poor girl might break a leg, so I needed to  build a crossing before I attempt this again.

But once across everyone was excited, a new paddock with fresh grass and the girls were running in every direction and here I am trying to keep up! At this point my bribe, the bucket of sheep nuts was of no interest to them at all.

Before my second attempt I built my little bridge below. Probably 50% of the flock used my little bridge while the rest couldn't help themselves again with some Arapawa Drama, preferring to take flight!


But in the end, alls well that ends well. Returning to their paddock most of the flock were exhausted from there little outing and with belly's full they took a nap in the afternoon sun.


I just love this!

Below, not the best photo but I was having a chat to Mum and her twins.

No comments:

Post a Comment