Sunday 20 September 2020

Life Down Wattle Lane v2 - The Littlest One

This morning's suprise was a set of twin Arapawa lambs from a first time mum.

All seemed ok, albeit the new Mum's always seemed shocked by the entire experience. One minute they're frolicking in the paddock living an independent sheep life, the next minute they're instant mums to demanding lambs. The lambs were up, and instinctively looking for the udder so I was feeling confident all was ok and I headed off to town for more supplies. The first thing I always check is to ensure that the lambs are up and feeding.

On my return about 6 hours later, the new mum was at one end of the paddock with just 1 lamb. Normally Arapawa's are great mum's so I was a little concerned. I searched for the missing lamb and a short while I found the little lamb sleeping in the long grass.  I have had a previous experience where the mum with twins just leaves the weakest lamb behind, so I thought if I wake up the lamb, and get it to call for its mother, while also walking mum back to where the lamb was, they might just reunite. Nope, mum was not in the least interested and wouldn't go near the little one bleating it's heart out. Mum had obviously already made her decision.

At this point you start to recall how difficult it was raising the last lamb. It takes a lot of time, nighttime feeding, and it's very expensive having to buy the milk powder. So I thought I would let them be and check back again, but after an hour the little lamb was still on it's own calling for mum. I needed to make a decision,  if I was going to raise the lamb I needed to race back into town for some colostrum powder.

Long story short... we now have another lamb to raise. Another little boy. Yet to be named... any suggestions?

Off to town



After first feeding 


In bed


No comments:

Post a Comment