Thursday 8 January 2015

Big Momma's First Egg!

I'm very pleased to announce Big Momma has laid her very first egg this morning! 



It's So Exciting... Pop Open The Bubbly I Reckon! You Go Girl! HAHA.

Every morning I have the same routine, bright and early I head out to feed the chickens, top up their water and move their cage so they have some fresh grass to scratch through, throughout the day. I do the same routine in the evening too.

Today I was out to greet the chickens just before 7am, the girls are always waiting for me in the morning, they must get up at the crack of dawn. 

As it was such a beautiful sunny summers morning I was up early today.  So I had some time to have a little chat to the girls while I prepared their breakfast.  Today however I noticed Big Momma was up in the house and not outside to greet me. 

Big Momma is the oldest of the 3 chickens, bigger than the other two, and a little bossy towards them, but she has the best feather colours, and I think she knows it... so I have given her the title of Big Momma, as she's bit of a Diva.



Big Momma did come down to say hello, but went back up shortly after I had finished preparing breakfast for them.

I had a quick peek in the house and Big Momma was sitting on her perch, so I thought perhaps, today is they day that she might lay her first egg.  

For the last two months the chickens have just been eating.. pooping... eating...pooping... and pulling the straw out of the house, which I think is a little game they like to play.

However today things felt a little different from the standard morning routine, so I put some new fresh straw in the nesting box and let her be.

Fortunately Thursdays I have the day off work... so I popped back down to the chickens several times, eagerly awaiting our first egg. I was like a kid. Big Momma had been busy making her nest in the straw, and by 10 am... we had our first egg! So Awesome!! I'm so proud of her.

Now... I just need to work out what I am going to cook with one... rather small egg?

No comments:

Post a Comment