Tuesday 10 June 2014

It's Raining Outside...

We've been waiting for a little rain to fill the pond to ease the liner comfortably into place before we fix it into place for good. Well we didn't get a little rain, we got all the rain we needed and some more!  

Yesterday there was 23mm of rain, and then today 72mm rain, and tomorrow another 60-80mm of rain is predicted! It looks like we going to get a months rain in 3-4 days!

Yesterday I received a phone call from my neighbour to say the wind had been blowing the pond liner into the pond and that it had been bucketing down. He kindly put some timber around the pond to hold the pond liner in place. 

I began to worry a little, as I hadn't yet put an overflow in place, so I took the afternoon off work to go up to the block to check it all out and to make sure the water overflowing wasn't eroding away the pond wall. 

The weather was awful, I think worse than cyclone Lusi that came through earlier in the year. The drive up to the block was a little challenging with a lot of surface flooding... and every time a big rig went past I had to nearly come to a stop due a wall of water being sprayed across to my side of the road, I couldn't see a thing! Also another interesting sight was water going horizontally across the windscreen with the rain!  Even driving at open road speeds normally the rain would travel up the windscreen over the car roof, but as I came up and over some ridges, the wind gusts would blow the car and the rain horizontally across the car windscreen!

On my arrival at the block I was greeted with water everywhere! Which was good in that I have a better idea of where the water runs and flows, so I can make plans to divert it away from the house, but I got soaked running from the car to the house, which is a mere 10 meters!  I didn't think to take a raincoat with me!

I put on my gumboots... and quickly ran around putting more timber on the side of the pond to hold the pond liner in place, protecting it from the howling wind.  I then checked the overflow point, and luckily there was enough pond liner that was covering the outer pond wall, so that was keep the pond wall dry from the water flowing over the top of the pond wall and down the other side of the pond.  

However, another job to add to our "to do" list, when the weather clears up, we will need to make a little creek or stone bed or something to carry the water away from the pond & garden shed, out into the paddock, to try to keep the area dry.  




No comments:

Post a Comment