Monday 19 August 2013

Big Dreams On A Low Budget!


 From the start we didn’t want to build our dream lifestyle to end up massively in debt to the bank.

I couldn’t think of anything worse than giving up something we have invested so much of ourselves in and then not to be able to enjoy it whilst we are “Working For The Man” for the rest of our lives to pay for our dream.
Life is of course to be enjoyed... today and for every day forward.

            “Every Man Dies. Not Every Man Lives”. By William Ross Wallace

So we have set ourselves a goal, we are not to get in over our heads and to come in on budget!
Including buying the land and completing the build, we have set ourselves a tight budget of $300,000 NZD, which is basically a split of 60% for the build and 40% for the land. This is going to be a challenge considering the average house price in Auckland is around $630,000 NZD. Ok so we are 1 hour north of Auckland, not exactly in Auckland, but still the $300,000 NZD budget is a challenge, especially as my list of things that I want for the house is growing!

We are just like everyone else… we like the nice things in life.  So we want the best we can get, for the least amount of money. Doesn’t everyone?

I will return to this subject once the house is built and I will let you all know whether we achieved our build on budget or not :)

Some Tips When Shopping:


1). Research, Research, Research, find what it is that you like and what you want and need.  Discuss the product with the shop assistants, your builder, compare models, search product reviews, www.consumer.org.nz 
Once you've decided on what you want... get to know the product's price, and then sit patiently for a sale.
For example, I fell in love with this Bosch Oven, the price varied between $2200-$2500 NZD, but I wanted it!  You couldn't sell me on any other oven!  Then one day I was in www.harveynorman.co.nz and I purchased my dream oven for $1800 NZD! A Bargain! 

2).  Also keep a shopping list of what you want & need on you at all times along with your building plans.  This way when you are out and about, you are prepared for any sales that you might come across.
Gary wanted to go to Rebel Sport last weekend, and next door to Rebel Sport we come across a bathroom sale.  We ended up purchasing our new bathroom & toilet vanities! Below is the vanity for the toilet.

3). Ask the hardware stores if they have discount cards etc. www.mitre10.co.nz Both Henderson & Glenfield branches have offered us a loyalty card of 5% discount, plus I still get Flybuy's points. Every little saving helps.
If I come across any more tips on saving money, I will add them to the above list.

No comments:

Post a Comment